This is the first time I’ve ever entered the Simplicity Sewing Challenge and I don’t know why as you get a free pattern just by taking part! I chose to enter ‘Best Vintage Make’ as I adore all things vintage (even though I’m more inclined towards the 50’s than 70’s) and I have no-one to model the childrenswear!
I chose to create view D as I thought the peplum creates a really feminine silhouette that I adore on any item of clothing. I started by sketching out my ideas (ignore the Christmas ornaments, I’m working on them all year round now):
I did some research into 70’s artists and found Orla Kiely who I’ve looked at several times over the four years of my textiles/art GCSE and A-level projects and although I didn’t put any of her recognisable designs on my make, I did let her geometric simplicity inspire me.
Now, onto the finished product! I tried out a bob for these photos so I looked more like the model on the front of the pattern.
I even found some white trousers to complete the look! The finished product is delightfully mermaid-esque as the colour scheme reminds me of coral and seaweed, which I didn’t notice during the planning process but I’m very pleased with the result. I found the fabric at the bottom of my stash and had just enough to make the top which was lucky as I had no other fabric that looked even vaguely 70s.
This pattern also allows for a very neat product as everything is lined and there are practically no raw edges.
It was a toss up between two sets of buttons (below), black or gingham and I thought the gingham went best with the colour scheme I was going for.
I’m also really pleased with the buttonholes. I used the buttonhole foot again, but it wasn’t as good as my regency dress buttonholes as they were really tiny and some of them are a really tight fit!
So there you have it, my entry to the Simplicity Sewing Challenge 2016! I did have fun making this and I may actually wear it, even though I hadn’t planned to before I started making.
I may just have to make another, too!